Monday, October 09, 2006

Give A Little Bit Of Your Heart.

So we all know that I am a big advocate for Breast Cancer awareness and Research. At work I asked my co-workers and the parents in my program to save the pink Yoplait yogurt lids so that I could send them in. They looked at me like I was crazy and asked me why. I told them about my aunt's battle with breast cancer and the promise I made her. This was weeks ago. I did not think anyone remember that. Boy was I wrong.

Today as the parents where coming in one of the mom's stopped me and handed me an envelope. I looked at her in surprise and she looked at me and said "Open it". I did and there staring back at me where 26 pink yogurt lids. She had gone home and collected all these lid. "Para tu tia" she told me. I was some how able to thank her and when I looked up, I saw a line of parent all of them with envelopes in their hands. Each envelope held pink yogurt lid, all of the lids were collect " para mi tia" I could not speak, I was overwhelmed with emotion and all I could do was nod and whisper "gracias" as an other parent handed me an envelope.

Oh goodness here I am tearing up as I write this. It was just beautiful. I cant even express how much that meant to me. As I sit here now I wish I would have taken a picture of it to send to mi tia so she could have seen how complete strangers did something so beautiful in her honor.

Yesterday Nataly, Nataly's Mom, Magarita and I participated in the 14th annual Race for the Cure. Denver's Race for the Cure is the largest in the nation. 65,000 people came out on a cold and cloudy Sunday morning for a good cause. Like the last time I was there it was an amazing experience. It still ranks as one of the best experiences in my life. I am glad that Nataly and my aunts were able to come with me this year. A few of my family members have already told me that next year they are going to going as well.

I took my camera with me because Nat and I are going to make an album for my aunt and send it to her.

Nataly's Mom, Nataly and Magarita before the race.

The view behind us.

The reason why Denver is number one for the last three years.

Nataly and Me during the race.


The coolest fairy's I have ever seen.


That sign is the reason why I do this.

8 comments:

Caro said...

way to make me cry.

Srta. G said...

WOW! I am glad that you did this. My mom is a survivor of breast cancer so the cause is dear to my heart too. So many people do not take action because they think as one person they cannot make an influence or difference on such a big thing. I think this is the wrong approach. One by one we can collect yogurt lids, donate money, go on the annual walk and pray that someday there will be a cure... jjust as you have done.

=)

Suvii said...

Karla, what a touching post! So beautiful for you to give of yourself for such a worthy cause. God bless you for your selflessness.

Desiree said...

You're awesome Karla.

Karla said...

Caro: I did not mean to make you cry. I sorry.

Janette, Suvii, and Dez: Thank You!

Anonymous said...

you're an inspiration mija!

Jessica R. said...

That is amazing Karla - you are such a good person.
Very inspirational!!

Karla said...

Elle and Jessica: Thank You, but I am not the inspiration the survivors and the people fighting to live are. Not me.