Monday, April 03, 2006

Avena Sunday

I have to say that Sunday is one of my favorite days of the week. Why do I love Sunday’s so much? Is it because of Desperate Housewives? Nope, I love that show but that is not the reason I love Sunday’s. I love Sunday’s because they are Avena Sunday’s (Oatmeal Sundays). My abuela use to make oatmeal all the time when I was little, and everytime she comes to visit everyone sits and wait for her to make her famous avena.

Now with her being sick and so far away the duty of making avena has fallen on my mother. All of my aunts know how to make avena, just like mama but none of them do. Mami is the one who gets up early on Sunday morning to make avena. I love helping my mami make avena during this time the house is usually quite (which is weird because there is ALWAYS people over at my house) and it just her and me cook a huge pot of avena. Once mass is over all of my aunts and uncles come over for a typical Dominican breakfast and a cup of Avena.

I know what you are thinking a cup? don’t you mean a bowl Karla? Nope it is a cup. You see my grandmother and now my mother make their avena different then what everyone else is use to. Our avena is more liquefied so that we can drink our oatmeal instead of eating it. Why? You ask, because back when my grandmother was a young mother she had to find a way to feed 18 children and her husband, and seeing as my grandparents were poor the only way to make a small amount of food go a long way was to liquefy it. So ever since then it has become a tradition in our family to drink our oatmeal instead of eating it. In a way it is a good reminder of where we came from.

During breakfast we call my aunts and uncles in New York and (when they are not in NY)my grandparents back in D.R. I always think of Sunday’s as a mini family reunion.

Breakfast is usually followed up with a trip to the local ballpark to watch the guy’s play softball and then we return back to my house for dinner. I love spending Sundays with my family. I find it to be so relaxing. It is a good way to regroup before going back to work the next day.

7 comments:

Caro said...

it's cold and rainy today.

if i knew how, i would make some avena to help me out with this coldness.

Desiree said...

Hey girly, my grandma makes it the same way :) We use cups too. And I'm a mexican! Maybe she got used to making it that way for the same reason.

Your sundays sound amazing. My sunday consists of sleeping until 1...letting my love make me breakfast, and watching espn. Sooo relaxing...

Jessica R. said...

Must be a spanish thing - i'm familiar w/ drinking it too. It's better this way!!

Joanne said...

LOVE this story about your family. My abuela used to make me cream of wheat because I didn't like oatmeal... but yummmmmy.

Karla said...

Caro: If it wouldn't get ruined in the mail i would send you some avena.

Desiree and Jessica: YAY! Someone else who drinks their oatmeal. I guess it must be a "spanish" thing.

Irene: Glad you like the avena at our cousins house.

Joanne: My abuela on my father side made me cream of wheat all the time. While my abuela on my mother said made me avena so i grow up loving both. Hmm now i am in the mood for some cream of wheat.

Caro said...

my mom used to make me and joe cream of wheat.

woot Farina!!!

CubanDiva said...

What a beautiful memory! Now that my Nena has died, I think of things like that all the time.