Friday, October 07, 2005

Breast Cancer Awareness

It has taken me forever to write this because El Papi Chulo list is a hard entry to follow. Also this is a hard entry for me to write but i have to do it, it is the least i can do. I own it to you.

As you all know by now October is Breast Cancer awareness month. I know that no one on here knows this but breast cancer hit's close to home for Caro and me. Our aunt was diagnosis with Advance Stage 3 breast cancer last year.

No one in my family wanted to tell me that my aunt had breast cancer. I found out by mistake, Nataly let it slip one day, my first reaction was one of shock and then it was to sit on the floor and cry. Actually it was more like a sob but you get what I mean. I am very close to my aunt she is my second mom. She helped raise me. I have always thought of her and my tio (uncle) as my second set of parents and her daughters as my sisters. In fact when I was 5 I use to tell everyone I had 4 older sisters instead of two. I was heartbroken when my mom explain to me that Josie and Gricy where my cousins not my sisters. LOL.

My aunt had surgery to remove the cancerfrom her right breast in March and had chemo right after that. Chemo was really hard for her because not only was she sick and unable to do anything (which she hated) but also she could not travel and that was the hardest part of all since this was all happening at the same time that my grandmother was very ill and my aunt wanted to go to D.R.to be with my abuela. Last Tuesday was her last day of radiation and this week her doctor gave her a clean bill of health and permission to travel. My Tia is so excited about the fact that she can go to D.R. to visit my grandmother and now my grandfather.

My tia is now a survivor, but there are still millions of women and men who are still fighting for their lives, So in their name i am asking that you guys take a moment and stop by The Breast Cancer Site and help fund a mammogram by clicking on the pink button in the middle of the web site. Also if you can please join the Race for the Cure when it comes to your town or if you can't do the race stop by the Susan G Komen website and see what else you can do to raise awareness.

I will end this post with a picture of a survivor, mi tia. Te quiero mucho tia.













7 comments:

Caro said...

go my blog, lady.

CubanDiva said...

Karla,
Your tia is an inspiration for me to keep going in my battle. I don't have breast cancer but doing chemo. I wish you and her all the best!

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Hi Karla - Cancer's such an ugly poison. I know where you're coming from about familes and cancer - I have a post on my blog about this - "poison and hope." You got the right attitude - spreading that message and influencing others. Yes maam, I wear my little pink ribbon every day.

Joanne said...

Aw, Karlita, you made me cry. I'm so sick of cancer right now. it seems like it's everywhere. But the good news is that of all the people I know with cancer or that had cancer, they've all been survivors. Including my first cousin who was diagnosed 5 years ago with breast cancer at 30 years old.

So, I will continue my prayers for all those living with cancer and fighting with it now, but beating it. With God, prayers and lots of love and positive thinking, all things are possible!

derek said...

My great-grandma (who is going to be a wonderful 89 a week from today) is a cancer survivor and my mom, aunt and cousin all did Race For The Cure this year. I want to do it next year with my little man (who will be 3 then).

The Grouchy One said...

Thank you for this. Really. Thank you for sharing.

Thoughts, prayers, positive vibes, and all that other good stuff to both your family and others who are fighting. Hugs to all of you.

Karla said...

Thank You's to everyone for their comments. They really do mean a lot to me. Thank you to all of you who shared such personal stories. It helps to know that there are other's out there who have gone through this.