Thursday, April 28, 2005

Conversation's in the basement

So on Tuesday I called up B to invite him to X’s surprise birthday party (which is this Saturday...the party that is not his birthday) We talk for about 20 min and he never mentions anything about getting a divorce. Last night I go to X’s house to hang out and B is there. So we are all hanging out and then B starts this conversation.

B: “ Karla, I am really tired”
Me: “ Yeah I bet you are you are working two jobs”
B: “ No that is not what I am talking about, I am talking about my marriage”
Me: “ oh”

So then he starts telling me about some of the things that are frustrating him and I just let him talk. I just sit and listen because I can tell that he just needs to vent. So I don’t say anything until he says “ I guess I am not man enough for her.” At that point I could not keep quite anymore I had to say something. So I go off in to a ramble about how he should not say that and how he is a wonderful man and pretty soon the dude is crying. No he is not bawling but there are tears running down his face and well that just broke my heart.

So my first thought was “Cono (shit) I did not mean to make him cry.” So I ask him if something I said upset him and he says “ No it’s just that you understand me and yet my wife won’t even try to.” I remind him that I have known him longer then she has and that is why I “understand him” and that he needs to give his wife sometime to get to known him the way that I do.

So he keeps crying and telling me how hurts he is and how he wants to do the right thing for his daughter and then he started talking about his grandmother (who is very ill) and he just kept on crying. I felt so bad for him. The poor guy is under so much stress. Then in the middle of all of this his biological father calls him and that just upsets him even more.
I know his worse fear is for him to become like his biological dad.

I reassured him that he is nothing like his biological dad. Well then really quickly he got up and said that he had to leave that he had to go get some sleep so that he could go to work the next day. I don’t know what happened there. He just got up and got ready to leave. I don’t know if I hit a nerve or something or if he realized that I had just seen him cry. It’s not like this is the first time that we have had a deep and serious conversation but it was the first time that I have ever seen him cry.

3 comments:

Caro said...

wow. b? crying? wow.

bueno karlita, crazy vida

Karla said...

Yeah B was crying...i was just as shocked as you are. In a way it was nice to know that he was comfortable enough around me to cry but i can tell that to him it was werid.

Reese The Law Girl said...

You are being a really good friend, Karla. Just watch out for yourself though.